2008年4月28日月曜日

Meeting 3: A Introduction to Culture

April 30, 2008


In this meeting we will learn about visible and invisible culture as well as have an intercultural communication experience.

This is our Agenda:

1. Discussion <<20>>

a) "By nature people are nearly alike, by practice they got to be far apart."

Group Answers:

1) "All the people must be the same but in reality they are very different"

2) "People are the same but they change by a different environment"

3) "For example, people who live in the USA and people who live in Japan are the same but people who live in Ausralia and people who live in Africa are different based on their clothes etc. In other words, people are the same but they differ by food, clothes, house, hair color."

4)"When we were born we did not know anything and we were the same but we experienced different things which made us as individuals."

5) "When we were born we were almost the same but we grow up to be a totally different person depending on the country and environment. So this phrase means that our essential is the same so we can understand eachother."



b) "We go ice skating" ** We might do this in the next meeting.

2. JH will talk about culture <<20>>

3. Intercultural Role Play: the Martians meet the Earthlings <<40>>

You can see the descriptions of the Martians and Earthlings here. Below is footage from the role play:




For next meeting:

Reflect on your "Martians meet the Earthlings" experience. Were you an earthling or a martian? Did you get along well with members of the other group? What was your impression of them? Did this experience teach you anything about intercultural communication? Why or why not?

11 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

I was Martian.
I tryed to get along with earthlings, but they were very cool, so I felt that maybe they did not like me...but perhaps I do this attitude to foreigner.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Martian. I think I did
so so. It was my first experience of playing such a role,so I felt a little bit shy. To exchange and understand the cross-culture, it requires some expressing measures.
I think languages are particularly immportant elements. And also the attitude without any prejudice is demanded. In last meeting, I could grapse the present situation of the poor & rich problems of the world. I hope to reseach it more deeply.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Martian. But I think I couldn't get along with other people such as the Earthlings. My impression of other people especially boys was bad. It is because they have refused me many times, when I grabed their arms. And they said to me,"Don't touch me!!” I was very surprised those reception and I felt bad. Then I noticed intercultural communication of each country is different. For example, the Martian
like to act friendly even unknown people,while the Earthlings act formal. So, I've learned many kinds of way in communication and I want to pay attention to what others say or act.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Martian.I don't think I could get along well
with the Earthlings. They were polite on the surface but I felt as if I were rejected. Maybe because they seemed reluctant to shake hands with me , while it's our(Martian's)way of expressing friendship.
I realized intercultural communication is hard because a mere cultural difference or ignorance might
cause a big problem.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I was an earthling. I think I performed like real earthlings, not me. I was surprised that Martians were very very very powerful. So I couldn't greet, or look at their eyes at first. Through this experience, I learned it very important to suit one's level. I think it is in contact to understand different cultures.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I playd the Earthling. When I talked with Martians for the first time, I was confused. Because they were very active, and touched many times. But few minutes later, I was trying to guess;what were habits of Martians? I think this is the first step for understanding of foreign cultures.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Earthlings,but I want to play the Martian.
Because characters of the Earthlings are not good,so I was terribly to play.
But I thought that I should accept their characters.If I understand their characters,I will make friends with other people.
I learned that each of people has its own character or personality.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Martian.
I couldn't get along with the Earthlings,I think.My impression of the Earthlings was that they were cool a little.
Through this experience,it is important that we have to accept a lot of cultures,I feel.If we can't accept some cultures,we can't grow ourselves,I think.
We can grow ourselves through a lot of different cultures,I learned.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Earthling.
I was confused by Martian attitude because they were very activity.
I think the attitude of other culture people sometimes disgust us. Perhaps they have feeling each other.
So,I found we need a lot of time to understand different culture.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Martian.
I couldn't get along with the Earthlings,I think.I felt the Earthlings were very shy.
It is difficult to communicate with foreigner because there are several curutural diferences.

匿名 さんのコメント...

I played the Martian.
This game is very interesting. I think it's important for our to speak activity, because Iwas the boy. I wanted to talk more people!!