What are symbols?
What are heroes?
II Main Agenda:
What are rituals?
What are values?
Discussion on "Maybe we go skating"
1. What were the values of the two groups?
- Japanese girls were cooperative. We don't like isolation. The standing nail gets hammered.
- Japanese girls' value is harmony with other people.
2. What was the conflict?
- They did not try to understand each other's values.
3. Were these girls' values similar to your own?
- Yes and no: When I talk with friends it is yes but in class we debate with others.
- In the same situation it is yes because especially in Japanese we have fellow feeling.
Hofstede's 5 Dimensions:
1. Power Distance:
Should teachers’ authorities be challenged?
- Yes. Because if they make a mistake (time, stereotpye) we have to change the worng to the right.
- Sometimes yes and sometimes no. In the case of the stereotype, we say you are wrong because we are not sure that "all Japanese like sushi" so we say I think you are wrong softly. In the other kind of stituation, if I have time we do not say you are wrong but if we are in a hurry we tell the teacher "I have no time, we have class by 12."
Should all students be treated the same?
- We think yes and no. Because in complusory education it is yes but in another education, for example, high school and university it is no.
- Alm,ost the same but in elementary school sometimes 習熟度別学習 is good. For example once a week, and after school.
Should fighting among kinds be tolerated?
4. Unvertainty Avoidance:
Can teachers say, “I don’t know”?
5. Long-term Orientation
Which do you agree with most?
Marriage is for love.
Marriage is for starting a new family and contributing to your own family.
III Preparation for Next Meeting:
As a comment to this post, please write the following:
How well did you understand the talk on values?
A: Very well
C: Not so well
D: Not at all
What was easy for you to understand and what was difficult for you to understand?
1. Go to the >CIA World Factbook
As a group find out the following information for your country. Be prepared to report your information in the next meeting:
Area: (How much bigger is the area than Japan?)
Current environmental issues:
Infant Mortality rate
Country Name (conventional long form)
GDP per capita
Population below poverty line
2. Go to this site and take a geography quiz of your region. Be prepared for a geography challenge for the next MMCE.